I'm supposed to be happy and celebrating. Yet I'm not. The reason why I'm happy is because my daughter have been granted Citizenship and my husband a PR, by the Singaporean Authorities. But I'm just stressed out. Because when you don't have a multi-blue and purple notes bank account back home, no one will help me get just some things done. Relationships mean nothing but returning of favour with something brought home from abroad.
Now I need the letter from my house in order to prepare the paperworks that the Goverment needs. They can't fax - it's too expensive. Can't scan - Don't know how. Post - takes too long and I'll miss the deadline and the time needed to do medical examination, getting documents translated, fixing a flight schedule to Singapore in 2 weeks, etc. Does anybody care to help???? No!!!! All these enthusiasm about getting my family to be part of Singapore, and guess what I get from my fellow Singaporeans? I will help if you can get them to my doorstep is the best I got so far. Arranging this with very reluctant people is not an easy task.
I really wonder why I did all that work and spent all that money to try to be part of that world. I really wonder if anyone would do anything for someone, without the bribes and the guilt trips thrown in. Personally I would not think twice if someone needed my help. I would never have said, can you come to my place, we can talk about it here. I will go to THEIR place and lent them my ear. They don't need just my ear, they need my sincerity, and every move I make since the time they spill their troubles to me, is appreciated and counted. There's no official codes of conducts for these matters, but I'm pretty sure its universal.
At this rate, I think I should just forget all those paperworks because I have no interest in Singapore or Singaporeans. I remembered when I was broken in K.L, friends give me money, shelter, food and everything else a damsel in distress needs.
When I go to them crying for help, they immediately stop whatever they had to do and sat with me till dawn. One picked me up from my mom's sub-urban home in Batu Caves when I was kicked out of the house.A theatre director gave me RM500 (I swear to remember this all my life) and make me swore never to even THINK about paying him back when he found out that I was darn broke. A Sarawakian girl picked up my call when I was stranded with all my bags in Puduraya, and immediately offered me shelter, although I've only met her twice before. A nice Penang girl gave me friendship although we're poles apart in characteristics. The theatre company gave me a part time job to supplement my income whilst i rehearse at night. All these, from people I met and knew for barely 2 years. And if I were to call them now, I know they are the same people I met in 1997 and they will offer the same kind of sincerity and friendship.
Sorry, can't say much about Singapore or Singaporeans. I have been dissapointed too many times. I loathe 9th August 1965, it shouldnt have happened. My grandpa is Malaysian, my mother and her family are all malaysians... and here I'm stucked in the so called sophisticated nation--BULL! No one keeps promises in Singapore, Relationships are only nurtured if you're someone important, usually on SMSs. No birthday cards except from the Insurance Agent, No one will visit you if you live in an L-shape or 2 room house. If you can't contribute to the economy, then you're just useless, jailed or disabled.
Now, should my husband waste more money on medical examinations, translating, air ticket to Singapore? Hmmm, and I havent even thought about where he CAN stay when he is there for a day. How weird isnt it. Calling it home, when I have None to begin with.
Love in the tropics: She was just 17, and I fell in love with her!
-
“Well, she was just 17 and you know what I mean, and the way she looks…”so
goes the song by the Fab Four from Liverpool. It was the sixties, The
Beatles ...
9 years ago

6 comments:
Hey. Singaporeans are selfish, I agree. But nooo, there are always exception. Not all of us can help the economy, not all of break promises.
I dont know how I can be of any help cos youngsters in Singapore are considered "children". But I do know that there are Budget Hotels around, and hopefully it wont drain your pocket.
I didnt post a comment because I want to show how 'nice' Singaporeans can be. But rather, I just thought I should tell you something you might not know. Like you, I'm as disappointed as you regarding sincerity among us. But since ya gonna live in this not-very-nice place, you have to bear with it.
Not all Singaporeans like Singaporeans too. But I love Singapore. It's not the place. It's the people. I guess you just met the wrong people here. Not very well-off people in Singapore are much more kinder; They dont help with their cash.
I think I talked too much without really helping out. But feel free to drop me a mail, aifenefia@hotmail.com
I cant guarantee I can help but I'll try. Trust me, not all Singaporeans are mean. =)
Ahem! Darling, I understand you are stressed! And like you I too am quite upset, my husband's PR is expiring soon and we found out that we would have to fly back to Singapore to renew it or it will lapse and he will lose his PR. Ho Hum.
But I am sure there is a reason why you started the process in the first place. Can the embassy at where you are help you? I know they cannot help everything but perhaps they can help with some things?
But yes, unfortunately, the longer I have been staying away from my home island. The more it feels like a distant place, a different world. My late mum would be sad to hear this but its true.
Hang in there and doa, Insyallah some help will come to you. I do hope you get to work things out. Good luck!
i totally understand you. i believe that a home is where you are loved. may be singapore is not for you but it seems that you still want to be a part of that world. you need to ask yourself why? why is it still important for you. scared of losing something that you have known all your life? Alhamdulillah, now you have love in your life, yr husband and yr baby. keep on blogging as it helps to unearth these deep feelings that we have inside
see - isn't this site a home?? you have so many friends awready without leaving your place in front of the computer!
A big Thank you and HUGSS for everyone who wrote here. I really mean it. I was really so stressed out.
aifen : thanks for visiting and offering help tho we never cross blogged before.
sunflora : oh no, the immigrations wouldnt put me to the person in charge. its really hard to get things done when im here and they're there
atenah : the only reason im applying these is because my daughter and husband cant travel with me to singapore on holidays. they need a visa which is subjected to approval and many other protocols which is really very taxing. and when they're in singapore, I can't even cross over to Johor as they couldn't come back to SG after that. My natural mom therefore, have not met, her son in law and first grandchild.
spasticon : am really grateful for your offer to help!! really i am. but alhamdulillah, artiyail has helped me scan them...and they are now with me. we have loads to do before my husband flies to asia next week.
kak teh : yes, indeed this is a home too.
oi, dah jangan stress, call me and tell me what you need.
NOW!
Post a Comment