Blogging is a near impossible task these days. Especially if you still have luggages sitting around in the living room and the mundane routine of everyday life becomes all too familiar again. All too quickly, work piles up, so did the mess, contributed by the little ones quite efficiently in every nook.When I first drafted out this new post, it started out as something totally different. It was written in Egypt, hoping that I could preserve the memory as I go along. The issues I faced then was also different. The (ab)normal-whiny-frustrated-housewife material that has bored me to death. Although I must admit that the trip wasn't that bad in the end of it, but I must give the credits to the little ones, for they filled my time from the moment we opened our eyes till the time that we sleep again. They were also bored, I could sense it. Habibi was away most of the time. At seminars, at work, always on the move, always attending to something, and when he finally reached home in the evening - he would be sitting with his parents, trying to make-up for every time lost. I got bored complaining hence I began to rewrite again. May Allah help him inshaallah. Isn''t is awful to be complaining when your husband is out there doing something meaningful and contributing to the society? Yes it is. But try to understand, if you are living in the midst of crowded city of Giza, not able to understand many words, not able to get a transport by yourself, no tv, nothing at all... what would you do? For Four Weeks.
The pyramids thing was done in 2 hours in between Habibi's appointments. That was probably the only thing the kids did with their father. We never got bored with the camel rides - the best part is ascending and descending from the camels! They are so darn tall. We took 2 camels, one for Habibi and Ibni, the other one for me and Binti. The camels brought us near the pyramids where we took our photos and then the phone rang, and Habibi had to go again - with us in tow - to the office for his next meeting. Then there was the zoo thing on the 2nd last day - all for the kids coz we don't want them to feel that Egypt has nothing to offer them. I personally have yet to see what else Cairo has to offer, but I guess I have a lifetime to do that.
Every year, I will meet up with my dear French-Moroccan friend, Fazo who's husband is coincidently based in Egypt for as long as I've been in Germany. That was always the highlight of my stay as me and Fazo would be catching up on each other, exchanging stories and experiences on motherhood. She has a son, the same age as Binti. The sad thing is, this might be their last year in Egypt.
MIL has long given up on calling me for breakfast for Foul and Tamiyya (also knowned as Falafel - a deep fried ball made of Foul or Hoummous) because she understands well by now that it is not my staple diet and I just cannot eat the same thing repeatedly day in day out. Plus, I'm never a breakfast person, so I'm ever willing to skip it for a hearty lunch. I got my stocks for some days when I'm in need of something Asian or spicy. Otherwise, I would be happy if Habibi would bring us out for delicious warm sandwiches at Wesaya or Cook Door (anything non-American). The sandwiches are to die for with selectons of meat and chicken cooked in different ways from typical Egyptian selections to American and Mexican. So basically, if I had my way, I wouldn't be cooking at all especially with the very lucrative exchange rates. (€1 to approx. 7 L.E)
Until the 4th week, I realise I don't have the gums to chew on grilled meat so very often. I miss the way we (Malays) cook meat and all that seafood selections cooked in gravy served with plain rice (not oily rice). So it was on hindsight that my belachan, curry powder, ikan bilis, lada kering came with me. It was pretty hilarious to see sweat dripping from my FIL's bald head after a meal ofParu (Lungs) cooked in Sambal Padang, but very encouraging when he asked for more!
4 weeks zoomed by and before I knew it, we were once again packing up to go back to Cold Germany. Right to the very last hour, Habibi had guests to entertain. I knew he wished that last day could be spent with his parents instead, but he couldn't turn down the visitors either. I understood from his responses that it was hard for him to leave his beloved country and his mother. But I couldn't watch him work endlessly either, and am grateful that back in here (Germany), time is more manageable and people don't drop in at 10pm!
Back in Germany, the gloomy weather are quickly being replaced by the cool but sunny spring days. Suddenly the whole house was waiting for my orchestration to function. At the same time, my creative energy is spilling with ideas that can't wait to be transferred into image files. I'm loving the time I get to do some work, it helps wind me down after a long day. Alhamdulillah, it was Allah's given talent that I re-founded and now focussing on rather seriously - meaning, I finally can ask for some money for the work done! heh! No more charity work - but I'm soft lah.
Neways, Easter holidays are approaching...we've eaten too much Rabbit and egg shaped schokolade. We are planning a road trip this weekend..all depends on whether Habibi will get back his passport from another embassy on time. If all goes well....inshaallah... we'll be ordering Spaghetti in Italy! Yeay!

4 comments:
Oh yeay!!
Italy is lovely in spring...less crowded.
Whereabouts in Italy you're going?
waa best.
we made a road tour around italy way back when there was no baby to lug around, and it was fabulous. wish i cud tumpang dalam beg u...heh heh.
k.d : We've booked ourselves in a hotel in Toscana, so we will naturally be visiting Pisa, Florence and even Rome.. thats a bit far fetch, but Habibi thinks we can make it..cam betul .... but all this... depends on the return of his passport!!
nazrah : naz darling, hope you are feeling better today. dah start your life as gypsy woman? :D i got many bags to carry already lah..can i buy you some marinara spices instead?? :D
ahah, foul medammes. we all have our foul & taamiyyah stories. here's what happened to my brother in-law when he 1st arrive in egypt, one of his malaysian friend (yg cakap slang kedah pekat) ajak dia makan taamiyyah, dia pun ikut la. imagine his surprise bila tenguk benda alah tu, he was actually expecting tomyam! in his defence he claims that since there's so many patani students, manalah tau kut2 ada jual tomyam in Dumyat!
Nanti saya cerita my story of foul, it started with utter disgust, and I now absolutely love it!
Post a Comment