Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ciao Italia!



When I first decided on Italy as our next holiday destination, I was just fulfilling my wanderlust but more importantly looking for a place where all of us can relax. Italy seems to be the most appealing route, after considering other lands near the borders of Germany. It seems to have what a small family needs; places of interest and fun for the little ones.

I would describe myself as a regular traveller and admit not reading about Italy enough before I made the journey, however, I can assure you that nothing could prepare me for the magic of Italy. 4 days was insufficient, to say the least, but at least, I know that if I have the chance, I would not hesitate to come back again. Every inch of Italy right up to the majestic Alps on the way to the borders of Austria was begging me to stay or to come back, because obviously, she has not told me her whole story.

We begin our way to Toscana early in the Good Friday morning. We are lucky to have a good traffic ahead. The journey would be long, as per our estimation. On the way to Toscana, we were to visit Verona, and that is in fact where we embedded our first steps on the land of La Dolce Vita. Our tummies were also growling in between the excitement but it was for a good reason. Italians are world-renowned for their culinary skills and it was not surprising to find many sidewalk cafes along every city serving everything from Pasta to Gelato to Expresso. For something quick, we opted for the original Italian Pizzas and took to have it at the Park just in front of the well-standing Arène de Vérone. There were of course endless choices of Pizzas but every café offers competitive variety. We settled for a single piece of Pizza, but the size bigger and thicker than the small pizza served at Pizza Hut! Indeed, Italy is clearly on the winning side in her global effort to combat fast food movement and replacing it with the slow-but-healthier food culture. Even a ‘vegetariano’ will not go hungry here in Italy.
The Roman Amphitheatre, Arena di Verona as its also known, was built in AD 30. It is in much better preserved condition than the Colosseum in Rome and can sit 25,000 spectators at once. Today it is still being used for Operas and performances. One can imagine the magnificence of the Roman Empire that built architecture as grand as this; albeit what it was built for. While in Verone, it is almost compulsory to visit the home of Juliet, at Casa Giuleitta, once owned by the rich Dal Capello family, whose name is linked to the mythical Giuleitta Capuleti (Juliet Capulet). Graffiti and professions of love in various ink and other imaginative forms can be found on the walls of Casa Giuleitta. Vandalism, but for a good cause perhaps.

We headed down towards central Italy and checked into our hotel late. That is not good news here as the hotels charge compulsory half board lodging. We had to miss dinner but woke up feeling much fresher after the long drive the day before. After breakfast, we decided to enjoy the sunny spring day at the beach. The soft sands of the Tyrrhenian Sea are decorated lavishly with beautiful multi-coloured pebbles of the ocean. Truly an artwork of God. Back at the hotel, we remembered to dress up for dinner and were served a hearty 4-course menu. Italians start their meals with bread and olive oil. You can get Ciabatta or Baguette, and choose your own Olive oil dip, from garlic to picante flavoured. Olive Oil in Italy is like Ghee in India! We didn’t expect a full serving of fish after gorging ourselves with a plate of pasta whose names we didn’t quite catch. A sweet treat of Gelato, Dolce or Frutte completes the dinner.
We left St. Vicenzo right after breakfast and hit the road towards Pisa, where the famously mocked architecture of La Torre Pendente di Pisa stands inside the square of Piazza dei Miracoli. I didn’t get the chance to go up the tower, but I have been told that it is a gravity-defying experience. The ‘Square of Miracles’also hosts a grand cathedral which showcase the best of medieval arts and sculptures in Romanesque Tuscan.

From Pisa, we are torn between heading up north towards the capital city of Rome or travel to Florence which is in the same state. Both requires at least 2 hours of driving. However, it was no surprise which city we finally ended up in.

When it comes to romance, Venetia (Venice) tops Paris hands down. At least, that’s how I felt. Maybe studying Merchant of Venice for 2 years as literature text as something to do with it, however, it is not easy to deny Venice’s charm. From the narrow streets between the jaded Italian Renaissance buildings to the rivers flowing, and the bridges that interconnect the city, Venice has a special artsy charm that is captivating and spellbinding. Striped shirt men with summer hats guard their gondolas with their lives. Vendors are making quick bucks for their Venetian Masks. I will not go home without getting myself a good mask and found one which is not too expensive in a boutique for hand-made masks. It makes a great momento for years to come, hopefully not too long before I could come back again to this magical land.
Ciao Italia. Thanks for a taste of La Dolce Vita.

5 comments:

k.d said...

Oh...you have to go again. Florence is quaint and lovely. Rome is very historic. Napoli and Sorrento..wonderful..Pompei..full of sadness...

You have to go again..

Ruby M. said...

oh yes, oh yes. i so agree with you. i really dont mind! im willing to give up Germany anytime for Italy!

J.T. said...

maknenek, I found your blog address on Sentraal Station. I agree with you 100%. When it comes to romance, Venezia tops Paris hands down. I am planning to return to Venezia someday and take my time exploring that breathtaking place. Like you, I am willing to give up Germany for Italy... anytime. Love the language too.

Ruby M. said...

hi j.t, thanks for dropping by. Where exactly in Germany are u? I'm in Bavaria, near Nürnberg to be exact. I will definitely return to Italy when I have the opportunity, and without the kids too! Yes, italian language is definitely much better sounding than german - or ..im just looking for an excuse not to learn german!

Anonymous said...

wish i'm there with you!!