Yes, I'm talking about how Zidane's headbutt incident is a reflection of being muslims these days
Yes, I'm pissed that even 'Assalamulaykum' cannot be said on National TV anymore (sg)
Wow. How did Israel manage to do all that in one go? Just for a small piece of land in the heart of the middle east, they have managed to turn the lives of overseas muslims upside down, and they have also managed to make local muslims feel bad about themselves- by not being able to use 'expressions' that they have been using since ages.
Yes. I am sitting and blogging about this because I cannot think of anything else I should do. Sure for those who are not Arabs and live far away from this hiatus, this problem seems far and unrelated to your life. I used to think that too. Read the 3rd line again. Now, my colleagues in the TV Industry in my own small homeland so far away is about to succumb to pressure and accept this humiliation that the world insists on us.
I have tasted that humiliation. It was when habibi cannot enter my country because of his passport. It was until he proved that he could be an asset, that they offered him a PR. Allah has planned it such that, my own children, my flesh and blood, are nationalities of a muslim country situated right beside Palestine. Their neighbours are suffering, homeless, killed, tortured, raped everyday. Here in Europe, we have even made friends with these neighbours, whom otherwise we rather not know, as we sit comfortably in our own homes, praying that this won't happen to us instead.
However, my children will be different. They are born with a Free mind, and this need to be Free will be taught to them by me. The Freedom to do what is right, to fight for what is right. Their father saw that in me. My qualities he said. Free. Brave. Strong. All his life, he had people telling him, You shouldn't say that - you'll go to jail, you'll get caught, etc etc. They were taught that to live, is to put your head down and keep it there. I grew up fighting all fronts just to find out who I was. He was taught that to learn something, you have to repeat it 100 times. I learn by wanting to know how that something happens.
Scared? Of course I am. Especially when habibi dreams of the day his son will be fighting in a Battle to free Jerusalem. I replied with a joke, 'He will need an umbrella, it's too hot in the dessert'. At the same time, I want to support him. I want my children to see how we are being bullied, wherever we are.

(End the War Crimes in Palestine & Lebanon)
An acquantaince here, an educated moderate Muslim, who's passion is also to Integrate Muslims into the German community. He had organised talks and dialogues between Christians and Muslims. He set up booths in the middle of town to explain abt Islam after 9-11. Recently, he was told that his living permit will not be extended. Because? Nobody knows for sure, but it must have been his answers to questions like-
1.If your neighbour is having a party, but he broke his arm..would you help him carry the beers?
2.If your wife gets beaten, will she go to the police?
3. What do you think of Christian missionaries in Muslim countries.
The first question shows how much tolerance they require from the muslims - without having to show it themselves! The 2nd question, is too stupid to discuss. Why do they have the impression that Professors would be beating each other...and that she wouldn't do anything if being threatened this way? Duh. He answered the 3rd question by saying 'If the missionaries come in peace, and spread the religion, they have every right to do so. But not if they take advantage of poor situations and poverty.' For that he was given a half an hour lecture about Christian Churches which deleted every letter in history over the past few centuries.
The most talked-about World Cup incident, being the headbutt Zidane gave to Matterazi, just goes to show that, no matter how successful a muslim can be here, he will never be accepted. I have felt insults thrown at me in a very demeaning tone just because I am wearing a headscarf. You cannot be Muslim and be accepted. You have to adopt their culture, their way of thinking, their style of living - practically live away from your Islamic callings, then perhaps, you will be accepted. But I doubt.
Why, do we as Muslims accept it without any fight? Why did the TV station accept those rulings of not expressing Islamic expressions, eventhough, they are as good as our mother language. (Mashaallah, Astarafighullah, etc). Hell-o! Even the Arab-Christians use these expressions for heaven's sake! I thought we are free. I thought wrong. We are free, but we don't care. Or maybe, we are free to do what THEY want. But what they don't understand is that, the more they try to cut us off from our religion, the more we learn, the more we hold on to it. I believe its the only way to save our youths from straying - they cannot live a life of contradictions that is offered to them. The govt. knew that. That's why they wanted religion out of our lives. But we have a choice - I can choose to put away what they offer out of my life. Let's put religion back into our lives, the lives of our family, our children.
Meanwhile, I'll let Al Jazeera & BBC newscasters tell me what they see, what they hear. I want to know. I didn't care before, but now I do.
I just want to leave this world with dignity.

If you can stomach it, see more pics here

9 comments:
I could never express myself as eloquently. Could I perhaps, one of these days, put a snippet of this entry into my journal?
hi marl, thanks for dropping by. sure u can..
well said rubes.. yes insya Allah we all will leave this world with dignity. but first let us contribute to the best we can..
maknenek, saw the grief stricken faces in the papers, blogs etc and 1st thing come to my mind is my son! my prayers with the unfortunates.. but deep down i am thankful that now they are in different world, they need not to suffer unnecessarily but their death is tragic & cruel nonetheless.
al fatihah utk mereka
maknenek - i cant bear to watch the news now. am so angry , sad and feeling so hopeless.
Astaghfirullah!!! They don't allow even to say Assalamu'alaikum in Malay channel - soooo crazy! Even though here in the UK it is difficult for Muslims to succeed but you are still quite free to exercise your religion compared to muslims in singapore - e.g. here you can see a number of salesgirls wearing headscarves in the big city shopping centers...you can never dream of seeing that in orchard rd! padahal singapore is surrounded by muslim countries!!! I feel very sad and very angry at the same time!
Kat sini, di "land of freedom" ni, lagilah hebatnya!! Left, right and centre dia orang hentam "kita". Sakitnya jiwa bila tengok news. Semua "kita" yang salah!! Apakan daya, memang duduk dan peluk tubuh. Kalau ada pun cuma little voices kat dalam rumah. Itu pun kena lihat dan dengar.. May Allah protect us all!!!
I hear you. Loud and clear. And I share your sentiments and frustrations. SG may be embarking on a drive to stop the "little things which add up", but let me tell you, Malaysia's not too far behind now either. I ain't no perfect Muslim, heck I may even be a rather bad and inconsistent one, but there are certain things which cannot be compromised. For example, I get very angry when I come across Muslims who interpret the religion into such a paradoxical state, not caring that they are actually negating the very essence of what is Islam. If we do bad, we do it on our own - don't blame the faith or bend it to justify your state. As for Israel's current drive to cripple Hezbollah (even though Muslims all around the world know that it's a far far bigger thing than that), well, what fears me is that this is the catalyst of bigger things to come, na'udzubillah. The beginning of the end, basically.
You are right about us in sgp being far and removed from the realities in the Middle East.
Once I read an interview with "someone from a mosque" (therefore authoratative?) that we shouldnt "over-react" to the situation and that its something that makes him "uneasy" but there is nothing we could really do.
We have sholarship, tradition and authentic revelations preserved for a 1500 years and all this goes to deaf ears and down the drain to some "authoratative voice"?
I thought there is no clergy in Islam.
We have a "collective consciousness" of apathy created through the media and leaders here...an attepmt at undermining the seed of brotherhood sown by imaan.
Cant blame our people for their ignorance...what frustrates me is when we have leaders who claim to represent us, the Muslims, but are incapable of doing so with dignity.
ok talk too much already.
nice to meet you at this realm of the blogoshpere.
Post a Comment