Are you one of those who give titles to your postings before you write them, or you give a title after it has been written? Well, I give them a title first because it summarizes my thoughts which are currently in my cluttered brain. However, there will be some instances where you find it hard to start of the first paragraph because you don’t know how to start penning them down. Anyhow, I’m beginning to feel frustrated about being a home maker. No, not because it’s a boring mundane job, on the other hand, it is challenging and hard, making me think a lot harder lately on how unequipped I am at it. Time in my hands? How is that possible when I constantly feel that I’m walking on an area of landmines? One pin drop or loud typing on this keypad and I could be waking up one or both of my tired children – and there goes the precious private moments like this. Wait. Ahh, what was I saying? Ibni just woke up and I have to put him on my lap while typing this. Binti was cranky the past few days because of a high fever and she has been driving us up to the walls with her whines and cries.
In my late 20’s now (will be on the edge of my 20’s life soon), and trying very hard retain sanity amidst all the expectations of the modern world on bringing up ‘Smart Kids’. Very excited in the beginning, tried to do everything like how ‘the book says’. Got lots of ideas. Loads of practical exercises. Took awhile to realize that, I need them, because I don’t know how to. It’s as simple as that.
Have a peek into the life of a kid born in the 1970s. Women’s Liberation. Feminism. What men can do we can too, was the motto of that century. Women leave their natural job as a mother to go to work in factories. Men and Women are equal they say. And today, that brought the word feminism to a different level altogether too – ‘Gay’. Whilst women are busy competing with men instead of focusing on their own specialty and unique roles, they eventually forget the ‘how-to’s’ about doing the most fundamental thing in life after procreation – to be a mother. The irony is though; nothing can be done about women having to give birth!
So here I am, born to the parents of the 70’s – the years also related to pop stars, hippies, drugs, freedom. 30 years later, I am manufactured into believing that I must compete too. Aggressively. Which I did. But then now, I am here, what then? This is neither the 70s nor the new millennium, I am at least in the 50s (minus the horrid war and occupation). Back to scratch, trying to figure out what motherhood actually is. So help me God.
The society I was brought up in was fooled into believing that to be somebody, you have to have this or that. Now I find myself looking for ‘this’ and ‘thats’ on ebay to occupy my children’s time wisely. She is bored, bring in the Leap Pads. I need to work in the kitchen, oh, Where’s her favourite tv-show? The truth is, I don’t know where to begin. I get fidgety sitting around too long around my children because with the same amount of time in a conference room, I would have organized World Cup! I constantly feel by doing those things, I would have fulfilled my time well. Not sitting around with kids! I cannot do what used to be done so effortlessly by women of the 50s, and even those women today who do not have a case of dysfunctional childhood. What is it that they have that I don’t? Passion? Patience? The know-how?
While as a homemaker I cannot be more equipped with gadgets that help me with household chores - washing machine, dryer, a dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, etc etc, I am still looking for time. Amazing.
I try to analyze my children’s behavior, especially Binti, whom I’m having a little difficulty managing right now. She is bored because she does not get the attention that she needs. Even being around 24-7 does not mean that she has every second of it. I logically discuss her actions and effects with Habibi, hoping that he’d see my point. But he is already too busy and stressed about too many things, although he didn’t fail to be the doting father to her when he has the time, which means, sacrificing his few hours of sleep.
I secretly envy mothers who seem to do the job effortlessly, without putting too much stress on their children, who seems to be so natural at it, and you’d think she never had to yell at her child ever because they are ever so gentle and polite. The truth is, our children, reflects us. That truth hurts. It means that my history has an effect on them. It means that even though I swore not to treat them like how I’ve been treated, I have no control over it. (Oh, you don’t have to call the Police, I don’t abuse my children ;), on the contrary, I feel abused!) With a lot of effort; I only manage to not do what I dislike to do, but try as I might, I cannot do what I’m supposed to. It’s just unnatural. Or is it because I’m doing too much thinking? While money can buy rewards or gifts as a temporary solution to temporary whining, it cannot buy what I never had before – the understanding of a relationship between a mother and child. The mother that people write about in books or poems, that people paint with lots of love. The one that makes your eyes wet when you speak about them in their absence. The one you want to talk and share your problems with whenever you feel like. The one who would hurry to you when you fall. One who never tires to advise, to listen. The one who prays for you when you’re in trouble.
The one whom I never had a picture taken with.
8 comments:
Ruby, Ryan Air is offering dirt cheap tickets to anywhere in Europe. I can come over and we can take that picture together and we can play mother and child. But seriouslysayang, u do not have to feel that u are shorchanging yr children. No one says bringing up children is easy, and no one is saying you will do a repeat performance of what you went through. all the more reason you will do all you can so your children will not go thru all that. I know that it is in you to not let it happen!
i do really know what you mean.
every morning of every single day, i make a solemn promise to myself to keep my temper under control. i never used to like the thunderous voice that used to bark my head off if i spilled or broke something but almost effortlessly i raise my voice to my very young daughter who is so much like me, it's scary.
i am sure every mother in this world would like to be the Hans Christian Andersen's idea of a mother, but that would be a farfetched dream as the world we live in is as real as it gets.
come to think of it, i too never had a photo taken with my Mak. No picture of just me and Mak, none.
we just do what we can, Roobz...insyaAllah, Allah tolong.
playdates may be a good idea for yr daughter
:)
it surely is not easy being a full time mom of 2. i was one when my daughter was born. after 4 months, i gave up, i went back to work part time...best of both worlds!
anyway, back to being home full time. i learned one thing. enjoy it. how? how about structuring binti's daily activites like watch tv time, coloring time, reading time nap time and all? i think she gets bored cos she has little things to do but want to bergentel with her mom? if u have some activities for her, then she will learn independence? oh and dont forget going to the park time.
thats just my 2 cents. now that my kids are bigger, they really do not want their ibu to be around them too much! but then again...got one more coming...so back to square one like u!
kak teh : ur right about ryan air offering cheap tickets! i think I need a break too! And..u did promise me a visit yonks ago!! on a serious note, yea, it takes a lot of effort to become a 'mother', im truly exhausted.
nazrah : what are u waiting for! go take that picture! yeah..u and me going thru the same thing with our kids yea? i really envy parents who can really handle their children diplomatically, by discussions, by explanations.. i think by being too busy, we are already stretching our limits, and hence put our kids on 2nd place? entahlah...
atn : hai kak, lama tak nampak! i have not seen the neighbours kids for a week already..im hoping to let salma play with them when i see them.. agaknya dorang gi tengok bola..
kak ely : i cant wait for them to grow up so that i can 'balik asal'! i have plenty of things for salma to do, but she dont want to do it unless i do with her..mana lah boleh. but thanks tho, i will need to focus a bit. belum berani keluar gi mana2 alone with 2kids. im just paranoid. :(
abg din teksi : i don't think its stereotyping, but mainly looking for the right directions of being a mom. got to look somewhere kan? and if the stereotype is acceptable, then why not?
hi there..
i was visiting bom's blog and decided to check urs out..
we may not have moved about entirely in the same circle back in s'pore but what u wrote touched me nonetheless.
i know what u mean..how do u do this 'mommy' thing.. how do u really do this; one of the most important jobs on the face of this earth??!..
stereotypes, no stereotypes aside..how does one become a truly in touch mommy when one didnt go to school learning how to do this and worse, when one didnt get to see an example in the making..
i know u did not abuse ur kids or anything like that..but i know what u want..u want this feeling of not being 'natural' to go away..
what can i say but, with my first-born girl, she's 5 now, it's going away a lil at a time coz she's talking much more and we now share a few minutes before bedtime and we talk like how frens? mother-child? would..and i feel a lil less inadequte..a lil less disconnected from her..
but guess what? i've got a 16mth old son and those feelings still exist when i'm with him coz my maid looks after him most of the time and i didnt have the opportunity to grant him SAHM status as i did earlier with my first-born..
so, i guess, i just wanted u to know that i feel u..i feel what u meant..
thanks for visiting, and thanks for your sharing. i am much better with the younger baby (2+mnts) now than I was with Binti. At least I'm talking to him and don't think its real stupid. In fact, how I wish I could do it all over again with Binti and make it up to her. Whilst that is impossible, I hope that I'm not too late to repair whatever damage/shortchanged I may have caused her.
Post a Comment