Friday, April 21, 2006

Miracle of Birth Part. 1

Alhamdulillah. I am once again grateful to the creator and Lord of the Alamin. I have safely given birth to the son I´ve been waiting for, for 9 months. My precious son whom we decide to name Khalid Ibn Walid, after the great warrior of Islam. We hope, inshaallah, he will serve Islam the same way the great Khalid Ibn Walid did during the time of our Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.
On the 11th April morning at 6am, the alarm goes off for us to wake up for Fajr. It woke my Binti too, and Habibi went to her room to check on her while I got up to use the toilet. Before I could go, I felt water gushing out of me, twice, involuntarily. It was not like the Bladder Incontinence that I was suffering throughout the pregnancy because I would only have wet myself when I cough or sneeze. This time, it leaked out without any help. I am not sure what it was, but after going to release myself, I did not find anything to cause alarm. Perhaps I was looking for some bloody show or mucus that would probably be the correct sign to look out for. Nevertheless, I told my husband about it, and then, went through my pregnancy books to check up on what I have just experienced. After quickly skimming through 2 of my pregnancy bibles, I am sure it was ruptured membranes, and the water was indeed from my womb. It was definitely a sign that labour has began, and within 10-24 hours I should be delivering. I wasn't sure what to do. I called Mak who assured me that once the pain intensifies and contractions became rapid, I could go to the hospital that evening. But I´m also sure that when she meant evening, it was afternoon for me, as she might have not noticed our time difference. Since it was too early to wake Binti, I got on the internet to chat with a couple of friends and announcing happily that I have leaked and preparing to go to the hospital. Tak caya, tanya the one and only Kak Teh!

At around 8.30 am, Habibi called the Gynae Clinic and spoke to my Doctor who told us to go to the hospital immediately. My contractions were mild and bearable, so I wasn't really in a hurry, afterall, the hospital is only 5 minutes away. Once at the hospital, I was informed that the cervix have dilated to 1cm. I got everything with me except the most important document, my medical & birth record book. Habibi took my shoe-less Binti back home to look for the document and to change her. On his way home, I smsed to a friend (Kak Asiah) that I am already in the hospital, and she took the initiative to come immediately to Habibi's rescue to babysit Binti, so Habibi would'nt miss the action. He came back to the hospital without Binti or the document, so I insisted that I go back and look for it, since there is no other way (or as Kak Asiah puts it.."Men, they can never find anything!) . The doctor and the nurses was informed and I assured them that I could manage with the contractions and it will only take awhile since we live so near. It was around 10.30am and when I came home, Kak Asiah was there with Binti Salma who seemed preoccupied with her Barney tv show. I found the document I needed and took a few other things and decided to bring Salma with us since I feel there is still a long way to go before delivery. I wanted Salma to be with me for as long as possible before the time comes and told Kak Asiah we will call her when the time is nearer.

We came back to the hospital and I got settled again in my hospital bed. There is little I could do now, except wait, and occasionally, the doppler test has to be done to check the condition of the baby in the womb. Everything seems ok, little Khalid seems to be doing well insde. I just loved the waiting room that they do-up for mothers in labour. It was a very well dressed room with a huge poster bed, a couple of gymnastic balls, a rocking chair, a cd player and a collection of soothing cd collections to help ease the wait. I didn't need any of that as silence works best for me under such stressful conditions. Habibi could stay with me there and he held my hand and gave me support during every painful contraction as I struggled to breath in and out, to ease the pain. Not long after, our friends Adam & Houda came to check on us at the hospital . Adam took off from work and volunteered to babysit Salma for the rest of the day. We cannot believe our good fortune and rezki from Allah, who made it all so simple for us that day. Houda had to work till 3pm, when she came back, she had a tupperware of fruits with her for me. She wanted to see for herself what labour is like, being pregnant herself and will go through it in August inshaallah. I wasn't exactly wearing the proper clothes for delivery, but hey, I thought the hospital was suppose to provide all these. Habibi wanted to go home and get me something, but I preferred that he stayed by my side. Houda went back to my home where Adam, her husband was, babysitting Salma. But in less than half an hour she came back, with a new set of knee length pyjama for me which I believe she bought from town, so I put it on, and wore it for the rest of the day.

8 comments:

Em said...

Salaams..

Thank you for sharing your beautiful and wonderful experience!

Honeytar said...

Dear maknenek... CONGRATULATIONS! on the birth of your new baby boy! MasyaAllah... he is so comel!

May you enjoy the many sleeples nights! heheheheee.... :)

Ely said...

mama ruby, i did not go thru my fist 2 child births w/o epidural but i think this time, i am going to use the epidural. after 12 yrs...i still DO NOT forget the pain!!!

as i read ur entry, my perut memulas...dah tak lama aku punya turn!

Ajzie said...

Alhamdulilah semua selamat.

k.d said...

bestnye your labour room. No such thing here..even for private patients or private hospital

Anonymous said...

Dearest Ruby,

Alhamdullillah and Congratulations!

Happy mothering :)

melayudilondon said...

Hallo Ruby
This is Shikin - we met in London for BBQ during the Raihan concert. Congratulations!! Kak Z told me that you had a 2nd one.

Anonymous said...

Dear sis,
He is gorgeous, masya Allah... And thank you for sharing your experience with all of us, too...
Alhamdulillah semuanya selamat...