Just had a funny conversation with a friend today. Actually, 'funny' can be misleading, since he is afterall, THE Dr. Bubbles a.k.a Clown Doctor a.k.a volunteer worker who is endlessly pursuing his dreams and his superstar crush, Siti Nurhaliza. If you're interested in him, ..ehem..I mean, reading about his life and adventures, apalagi, go here. I kept thinking, if we've met 6-7 years ago, we could have been great buddies! Who knows, if my path is not what it is today, I would have been the one match-making him and her in a very cool uptown cafe in Sentul..haha... However fate has different plans, and though we occasionally tease and pull the legs of our common 'online' friends since 3 years of friendship with our Bilik Berita Basi spoofs, we have not met.
Today I asked him, his plans, because after 3 years, I know he is not one who sits still. In 3 years, he has been to Laos, Iran, U.S and dunno God knows where else for humanitarian efforts or learning about them. I secretly envy him. Though what he does and lived for will never give him a worldly comfort enough to woo the girl of his dreams, he still lives on his passion and love for his job. If he had been a millionaire, he would have been a bankrupt the next day splurging on various charity organisations or simply travelling around the world to be amongst the needy, the hurt, the helpless, the ones who would really appreciate his sense of comedy and yet will not offer him a penny for it.
What do we have in common? A crazy sense of humour, that's about it? I may have been a theatre/tv commedianne sometime back in my life, but it was not worth anything till I find out about what he does. We both do the same thing, basically, we make people laugh. But while I may have done it out of my own selfish needs of seeking attention, to try to get a producer to notice me, popularity and sometimes good money to live on, he literally does the opposite. He didn't need to seek attention because his audience needs his instead. He didn't need any producer because he is not aiming for a tv role, he is not doing it to get popular, because those places where he performs, they only know him for a day and he is definitely not looking for money for himself for as I've said, he would have given it away.
So it is unfair or shameless of me, to even measure myself to this friend of mine, whom I've had the pleasure to be acquainted with. Yet, we find similiarites in each other today. In the early morning our chat was centred around the topic of Inner Peace. Somehow I felt I could understand where he is heading, and upon further probing, we realised that we're individuals who needs constant stimulations or struggles in life in order to attain ..a peaceful state of mind. That also means, living AWAY from our natural surroundings and environment, will help us thrive as a whole person.
I'm actually now facing a dilemma. There is a saying that goes..'Becareful what you wish (doa) for', and I am a firm believer of this phrase. I know Allah grants all wishes, whether immediately or not, and I've come to realise that we don't neccessary know what is Best for us, and it's best to leave the wishes - an open-ended request. I wouldn't say, 'Oh Allah, please grant me this and this..' because I will have no idea if what I want, is good for me. There were times in my youth where I thought I knew better and wished for something so definite and clear, and when it did came true, it didn't work out in the end. It was HIS great sign of my destiny and sealed fate, things I was never meant to have, but Allah gave it to me anyway because I've asked for it for myself. I finally learnt my lesson, and my first 'open-ended' doa was made in a mosque in Singapore during a zikr session on 22nd August 2002. On this day, I knew my friendship with my newly-met Egyptian friend was going to end. He was going to leave in a week or so, and I knew I have no control over it. It was also my first zikr session with the Nashqbandi group and it was so soulful and enlightening that my eyes were wet throughout the session. At the end of the session, I made a simple prayer. For the first time in my life, it wasn't selfish or self-centred by asking for specific things that I so badly want, but I let Allah decide. I asked silently 'Oh Allah, if he is meant for me, make it easy for us, but if he is not, please make it easy for me to forget him'. And Allah is indeed The All-Knowing, All-hearing, and I can never forget the goosebumps or the silly girlish flush on my face when Habibi proposed at the gate of the mosque that very same night.
And so now ..I have to be honest with myself. Allah has given us some options to consider and one of them is a lucrative offer to be back on my familiar turf, homeland. This offer has not yet materialised, but I'm naturally excited to be so close to my family members, especially Mak, because I feel I owe so much to her and would like to be by her side . I feel that I need to brush up my relationship with my natural parents and siblings, whether they are interested or not. And there will be a lot of opportunites for learning religion and be involved in so many activities. BUT, is this a good choice for me? Would it be ok for me to ask Allah to grant this to me...or should I, again, trust HIS judgement and let HIM decide instead? Because if I'm truthful with myself, I know homeland has its abundance of distractions in store for me, and I may fail to balance the peace that I've recently found and the buzz and excitement of being in a familiar surroundings. A few times I've noticed how 3 weeks of vacation zoomed by and by the end of it, I wasn't quite satisfied with how I've spent it. The last time when I can say that I am nearly there, many people were not, thinking that I've been too absorbed with my life to give some time for them.
Would this opportunity be good for me, Allahuallam, only Allah knows Best. I dream about this all the time, and yet at the same time, I'm also worried that I may change - anticlockwise. I don't want to be absorbed with the the very things that I've been cured of. I don't want to get distracted with the endless meetings and outings, I don't want to go back to watching TV series or reality tv in the evening because I never need to here. I don't want to listen to anything but praises gloryfying Allah. Will my husband and children be eating from the food I make for them or wouldn't it be easier to get someone else do it? Will I still open the door when my husband comes home from work? Will I even be there? Will I still be interested in educating and nurturing the developments of my own children or enrol them in a fancy some-difficult-to-pronounce-not-to-mention-expensive childcares? Can I really escape the buzz and fuss of the city, retain my sanity and remain the person I am today?
I doubt, but then Allahuallam. HE knows best, and if my 'wish' comes true, I'll let HIM guide and protect me from myself.
Love in the tropics: She was just 17, and I fell in love with her!
-
“Well, she was just 17 and you know what I mean, and the way she looks…”so
goes the song by the Fab Four from Liverpool. It was the sixties, The
Beatles ...
9 years ago

19 comments:
Dear Ruby
Your writing is always so poignant and I must say that I was feeling goosebumps too knowing that I have similar struggles as you, the part that there is "lucrative offer back in the homeland" and whether "I can maintain the sanity that I have now or get distracted with the buzz and fuss of the city." Allah knows best and yet at times, I know my heart desires something and I wonder whether I should ask for that thing and let HIM finally decide whether to give it to me. Whatever it is, I hope that it is for my family and future's best. Sorrylah berjela-jela pulak kat sini.
Indeed, such a poignant piece...
If Allah wills it that you and family return to SG, I'd think HE knows that you can handle all the challenges HE puts forth, yes? Think positive my dear...I am not good at giving advice lah, but sure would be fun to have a mini playgroup for your kids, mine and Naz's, eh? :)
dear,
do what you can do to the best of your capability;
and leave to Allah the rest.
anyway - though i am a little late, welcome back. thanks for letting me know of your return. you have been missed! ;-)
oh, by the way, reciting ayat 20 of surah Abasa might help during labour... all the best, may Allah bless and make it an easy and safe delivery...
Poignant IS the operative word here. And for me, it's so heart-warming reading this - because you are where I WANT to be, away from all the distractions. It's not that I want to run away, I just want some time to BE away - to focus on the things which really matter and not be caught up in the trivialities of our environments.
But what CK said is true - if HE wills you to go home, then HE knows best as to whether you will be able to overcome. If only we hopeless mortals believed in ourselves as much as HE did, huh? Just put the effort in to stay on the path, and I'm sure you'll only emerge stronger, no matter where you may be!! :)
Ruby Ruby.... I teared reading this. Thank you for the reminder. May Allah decide for us. Me and my other half I mean...
Thanks heaps woman. Thanks heaps!
Linabobo
Salam semua yang baik hati ...
Afzalmom : I'm sure we all have the same struggles, its just whether we realise it or not, and whether we know (or brave enough to admit), what we should prioritise in this world. It's not easy eh?
CK : Thanks for your kind words. I hope Allah will be 'kind' with HIS tests! Playgroup for our kids? Sounds cool!
Haida : Thanks for visiting! And also for sharing about the surah :)
Blabs : Wow, I like the way you put this 'If only we hopeless mortals believed in ourselves as much as HE did'..how true! HE has better things in store for us that we lack knowledge of. The only thing that saves me here is the fact that its an unfamiliar, unknown surroundings..that's the only saviour. But the unfamiliar will soon be familiar..and it would have been the same, anywhere else.
Linabobo : Hang in there girl. I know what you're going through, pray for HIS help and guidance. Alhamdulillah Syukur for his gifts, and if he takes anything, its also for the best, inshaallah!
Sis,
I never know what to comment, but i know I have to. To have that kind of peace and such carefree approach for duniawi is something I always hope for. Hope, but not enough effort to turn it into reality. Terlampau sibuk dengan hal2 dunia, that I always have to take a step back and muhasabah diri. Look life at a different angle. Have to finish reading the La Tahzan book, hehehhe.Take care sis.
hey sis arena,
the la tahzan book is really really good. u should finish it soon.. hehe..it will give u a different perspective on how you look at life insya Allah.
Linabobo
Sis Linabobo,
I bought that La Tahzan actually as a gift to a friend who is diagnose with cancer. But i never read it before. Once i started yesterday, i know i have to get myself one. I had tears in my eyes as early as page 4. Have to finish it. Maybe could finish it over the weekend. Yes, lot of people told me it'll make us look differently at our lives.
Ruby...I had that same feeling once and now am too scared to ask for anything except what's best. And the ust. say it's safest to make dua: Rabbana atina fidunyaa...each time we supplicate. Everything here is a trial even the nikmat, rizqi we get are trials...looking at where you're at right now there's no doubt that He knows best.
Bro. Shukor wanted me to attend the session too because of some personal battle I'm facing..insyaallah. Thanks for sharing.
hugz
apples...
i go to the naqshbandi zikr too. its good. and i know shukor. heed his advice and attend the zikr if you are feeling down in ur personal life. its a good medicine insya allah.
hope to see you there ya..
Sis Lina/Arena
Your La Tahzan in english eh? I tried searching online takde. My husband got the Arabic one plak.
Apples,
Thanks for dropping by sis! Lots of Darulites are at the Nashqbandi Sufi session, much to my surprise, because we were recommended by a British convert who was a colleague of habibi in Singapore then.
Ruby..
Yups mine is in English.. Hey I tell u what, you can have my copy cause Amran has his own copy himself...
After the wedding insya Allah I send it over to you. Now dunno where it is already in the midst of the packing.
Apples,
I wrote the comment up there about me going to the naqshbandi zikr and knowing Shukor. And yes I am a darulite too.. Many of darul gang go for this zikr session. Many are converts as well.
So do come yeah...
Linabobo
alamak...i loike your new banner.
bestnya kalau u ada time nak install for me too? i see kakteh pun sudah ada ....pwueeees????
rubes, pls tell me more about darulites that u mentioned?
Crossroads are excting. I wonder what will unfold? Good luck! (Err, can I actually say "good luck" or is that pointless when everything is predestined? Serious question.)
nazrah : alah senang je...click kat banner tu..if u get lost anywhere, dont hesitate to ping me. Will catch up with you soon and tell you more about the wonderful peeps at Darul.
blogreader : luck or is it guidance, eh? cos, though things are predestined, how we get there, are by our own choices.
Hey Lina c/o Ruby!
How's the geng doing? Met bro Shukor at Wardah bookstore. Wow been so long!I've attended the naqsband. gathering once when the Imam came during that early days. I believe Bro. Shukor was just about to get involve then. I've been reading about sufism for a long time now but I don't dare to commit yet as to the murid-mursyid thingy..I think I'll just adhere to the mainstream sunnah waljamaah first..but I'll take their barakah should I attend the session for now..what's your email? Currently am using Ba'alwi's Ratib..Alhamdulillah...
hey apples...
U can get me at http://linabobo.multiply.com
Nazrah, the Darulites are the 'geng' from the Muslim Converts Association of Singapore.. and Like Ruby said, really really wonderful people there. :)
I would love to introduce to the association but alas, I am leaving SG soon right after my wedding and a bit busy now. When I come back sometime end of April I can take you there no worries.. :)
Sis,
My copy are in Bahasa Melayu. Not indon's version. Jangan Bersedih. :-)
Post a Comment