Monday, March 19, 2007

God gives us strength

There were other things that I wanted to talk about before I came to this point of time. However, as time passes, those things ceased in importance or rather, I decided that its best buried in the hatchet, or so they say. If only I can write about everything that happens day by day, or every new experience, frustrations; but if only I have the time. Tell me, if you are a mother of 1 or 2 or 3 or more small kids, how do you find time to blog? Do you hire a maid? I hear Electrolux has a new machine that irons clothes too! Have you seen it??

Ibni and Binti returned from their unexpected hospital stay after 10days. Although Binti was the one who took ill for more than 2 weeks prior to the hospitalization (contant recurring fever), it was Ibni whom my heart went out for. He wasn't accepted for hospitalization the day Binti was there because he was not 'dehydrated' (enough!), although he was hot with fever. The amateur in-training doctors told us to go home with Ibni, only for us to come back the next day with our Paedatrician's order for Ibni to be hospitalized. He was having a bad diarrhea and was so weak, he could hardly lift his head up. As a parent, I wouldn't know if the 'sickness' will go in a few days or that it will cause harm if not treated. But when he was admitted, I knew that was more than a few days case. Ibni and Binti were both on drips for their supplements. Ibni also got oxygen tubes through his nose, and another wired gadget to measure his heart rate and oxygen supply. With all those things wired up around his 11months body, it was hard for him to sleep in his usual toss and turn manner. I worry if the drip needle would be pulled accidently. And I wasn't over-reacting, it was somehow mislocated and it caused his whole left arm to swell. I remembered how difficult it was (the night before) for the doctors to find his veins because he is well-protected with flesh. They tried so many times, I still can see needle scars on his hands and legs because many doctors and nurses failed. He has RSV and ETEC and thank GOD for Google, I don't need a medical degree to find out about it. RSV is a virus that is causing him to come down with pneumonia and the ETEC bacteria is causing the diarhhea and abnominal pain.

It is also unfortunate that both of them are sick at the same time, and with no help here, Habibi and me took turns to be at the hospital. Sometimes if we are lucky, we get to sit and chat during the shift take-over, but only if its not early in the morning when he has to rush back home and then to work or in the evenings when I got a friend to give me a lift home. It was very tiresome when I return home because I try as much as I can to wash up the laundry that was soiled by Ibni at the hospital and if there is any energy left, I would try to prepare food for them because the hospital one is really pathetic. The PC was my only companion during those hard times, but only for a few hours, but an amazing few hours because I get messages like yours and from friends in Rantauan I barely knew who kept telling me to be patient, to remain strong for my kids. I did, Alhamdulillah, because the kids are too important for me to fall apart. Habibi and me suffered from emotional and physical stress and could hardly comfort one another. We just had to do what we have to do.

Binti recovered quickly at the hospital and that was a relief to see. She stayed on an additional few days because of Ibni. The whole room was ours by this time and it was much more private. I brought almost everything they are familiar with so as to remind them that this is temporary. I doubt if I was successful because after a few days, Binti stopped asking for her shoes.

However, it was also truly amazing that both me and habibi admitted of having a satisfying time with the kids at the hospital. Maybe because we are wholly and truly there for them, and it felt good to give it. They so deserve it. There was no internet or work to overload us. It was just them and us. Alhamdulillah both recovered in the hospital, Ibni was the last one to, as his body reacted strongly to the antibiotics. The doctors and nurses were all friendly, and it is ironic that I barely knew their faces because they always has a mask when they came into the room. During this course of time, I became at expert at taking temperatures and had to report it every hour in the beginning. I also learnt to detach some of the wires and tubes when I need to change Ibni's clothes. I change their hospital bedsheets and clean them up myself. I cannot imagine what would have happened if neither me nor Habibi was there because they really couldn't keep an eye on every kid. And I cannot imagine letting Ibni be by himself covered in poo or puke.

Allah is generous, he gave them their health back. Alhamdulillah. We can see how much happier they are now at home, in a familar territory. Binti have been so funny and delightful these days and just make my heart smile. Ibni on the other hand became more quiet but clingy. But the days in his bed in the hospital is making way for us to put him in his own bed at home. So far, Habibi and I have had a few relaxing evenings together watching movies while the kids are sound asleep. Finally. After some years! A reward, nothingless, for our patience.

Now excuse me for I have to go back to the ever-messy but-operational kitchen to feed the entire platoon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

alhamdullillah ruby,

Allah has promised that for every difficulty there is relief, and your family has gone through this test well. may Allah bless you and your husband's love and dedication to your children, and may He bless your whole family with continues health and happiness :)

Ruby M. said...

thank you khalidah. alhamdulillah the low tide has passed..but like the waves, it will come again and we have to be strong about it i guess. everyday is a test :) may allah bless you and family too!

Blabarella said...

Syukur Alhamdulillah, your entire family has overcome this test, and emerged from it stronger and closer. Your constant rememberance of Him during this testing period is very meaningful to me, the reader. Insha'Allah, He will only put us through what He knows we can endure. Take care of all, hugs to the kids and warmest regards to Habibi.

Anonymous said...

Ruby, syukur alhamdulillah!

Ruby M. said...

Hi Blabs, lama tak dengar. so sorri, as you can see why now. It was right after egypt..or actually, happened it egypt and terbawak ke sini. It was very tiring, but alhamdulillah. We also received a great news DURING the hospital stay. So we think its a very big and generous gift from Allah there and then. It was truly amazing. I cant say much now, but will share when the time comes. :) Salam to you and your hubs :D

Ruby M. said...

hai kak maz, thanks for always looking out for me no matter where you are. your friendship is priceless to me.

Ms Baker said...

Ruby.. be strong and know that I always and have always admire you for your strength. Hopefully when the time comes, Amrana and I will be as strong as you and Walid insya Allah...