I can talk on and on about my dear little darling Salma whom I've grown to love more than myself. Just pretend to cry, and she will come hugging and giving you a kiss on your cheek. Her father gets a kiss from the other side of the glass door on his way out to the office. She is enthusiastic about songs and dances when she hears familiar tunes. At such a young age, she has shown much interest in I.T gadgets from our p.c's, laptops (she knows how to shut it down), our mobiles (she sends empty SMSs to my friends all over the world), digital camera, video camera... Most of them are lucky to still be in working condition today. Habibi of course has established some kind of relationship with Salma. The times with her are mainly to relax, play and joke around. I took pains teaching Salma various animals sounds and actions so she will respond accordingly when she hears words including Elephants, Snakes, Crocodiles, Chicken, Dogs, etc etc, and then Habibi came home from a walk with her one day to show his masterpiece too. ' 'How does Mama sleep?' (in arabic) and then Salma started SNORING!!! Recently, he taught her how to cough out plehgm.

My baby at Charlie's Checkpoint in Berlin, with a piece of Berlin Wall in the background.
Since she was born, I let her sleep by my side. There was not a night that she was away from me. We both got very used to it. By 6months, while most mothers have already disciplined their babies sleeping time and assigned a separate bedroom, i couldn't bear to. Plus, at that time, we were constantly travelling, so it was really hard to set a sleeping pattern. She was too close to me. We would sleep with our bodies in contact, sometimes she would find me with a part of her feet, or her arm, and then she would rest quietly. But things have to change...
When I found out I'm pregnant, I was hoping that Salma would stop breastfeeding naturally when she finds the milk depleting or perhaps even change in taste, but no, she hung on to me even more closely and tightly. Far worst is that, she can even say and points to what she wants now, making it impossible to pretend not to understand.
Habibi came to the rescue, volunteering to sleep with Salma in a separate room until she weans off from breastfeeding at night.It is really hard for me to watch him wake up at night and try to soothe her down. He would carry her, bring her to the living room to listen to Al-Quran, feed her with bananas (!!) and whatever he can find, until she falls back to sleep again. She does this a few times a night, and so far, only once, she slept through. Habibi would have to wake up early for his sahur and then his day starts again. Although I'm enjoying a little bit of freedon from a part of my body which she binti used to cling on, I also missed them tremendously. I installed the baby-walkie-talkie to just hear them at night till i fall asleep. But however, I must have gotten a really lousy one because sometimes I hear someone elses' baby wailing! It must be so difficult for Habibi, but he insists on doing it until he succeeds, furthermore, he already felt some difference in their relationship since he invested those nights for binti. Nowadays, Salma would voluntarily kiss him when he prays, or when he is eating, or just ask to sit on his lap. That kind of affection, of course, is something money cannot buy.
Now I joke to Habibi that I finally gotten my childhood dream. A big bed and a big room all to myself. I decided the room needs reworking, since I'll be occupying alone. So I moved the bed, the bookshelf, the tv and removed every junk I can find hiding under the bed. But of course, something has to happen. On the bed, there are 2 single mattresses supported with a long piece of wood in the middle. Under that piece of wood, is another much smaller vertical one to support the wood from the floor. Well, while moving the bed, I didn't put that smaller one back because that would need me carrying some weights, which I'm careful not to right now. So... well, I must have forgotten that I have put on tonnes since marriage and happily dived on the bed with binti after renovation and was greeted with an immediate 'CRAAAAACCKKKK!'. I broke the bed. :( Sent an email to apologize to Habibi and when he comes home, he knows I must have either burnt something, or broke something. By the 2nd guess, he got it right and quickly thought 'You did it on purpose!'. Well, NO! I grinned widely. He has a reason for claiming so, he knows I hated the bed since I moved in here. You see, he had to choose the bed and the basic kitchen cabinets before I came (based on his basic needs : Sleeping and Eating), so he settled on a very huge bed, and after being here for awhile, I also knew he paid way to much for it, not knowing 'market prices' for such things. He is also responsible for the greenish-grey carpet that covered our entire apartment, and sanitary white kitchen appliances. When I saw them for the first time, I knew I had to take over the designing of our first humble abode.
Oh, where was I? Oh yes, Binti...I tried calling Mak for some advise on what to do with this clingy daughter of mine, and she gives me a tip which is too avant-garde for my modest imagination. 'Kau genggam garam, pusing kat kepala dia 7 kali baca salawat, lepas tu buang kat tingkap'...Alamak, what's the basis of this theory? No need to check my religious kitabs, sure takde! No need to tell Habibi, how to explain!? Hmm, ok next...
So here I am, quite exhausted from the day's activities and the short day in Ramadhan. Without Binti at night, I did get back some of that energy I have lost over the past 1 year. However, this is not something I can celebrate about because my partner falls asleep before I can say goodnite. I guess exchanging our roles have done us some good. He finally understands why I always fall asleep next to Binti when I put her to sleep. He finally understands why I'm in need for some sleep in the day, after coming home exhausted one day during lunch hour and pleaded that I wake him up after he gets an hour of deep slumber. He finally understands why the house can't be managed by 1 person who has a full-time job caring for a child. I know role-playing was a good idea!
Ahhhh.... So now I get better rest, better sleep...what more can a pregnant woman ask for? ;) (Although technically, I'm sleeping in our room on the mattress, which is on the floor now until the bed gets repaired...and knowing habibi, this will take some time..)

18 comments:
ALhamdulillah and congratulations on the pregnancy. I am so jeleous reading on how mothers can breast feed their children for a long time. I couldn't. Maybe due to ignarance etc, but my breatmilk won't last beyond 2 months. Minum macam2 pun tak nak jugak cukup susu nak breastfeed. So my doters semua minum susu lembu. Nasib baik so far they are healthy.
eh aku suka this entry!! Salma sounds so clever already!! She must kiss her Aunty Bom, y'hear?!!!
Congrats (kalau tak terlambat!)
auntyn : alhamdulillah, and thanks for the well wishes :) breastfeeding was not easy for me as well, it was quite a painful experience in the beginning, but im sure its worth it for her health and general well-being. memang some people takde milk or just not enough, takpelah, u tried and alhamdulillah, as uv said, all of them are healthy, dah besar pun!
ailin : im pretty sure she did it to me. my grandma was also a bidan and currently still 'mengurut'. im sure these advises must have travelled by now..
nef : janganlah envy kita, alhamdulillah for rezki allah
uja : hmm.. u negotiate with her lah. she is shy with new faces :)
anim : eh, tak terlambat lah..belum lahir lagi!
adiejin : wei, working day lah.. lagipun kan bulan puasa..ish ish ishhh
U, me, Naz...sama je, we all practise attachment parenting, eg. breastfeed as long as possible, co-sleeping, etc. Yasmin has FINALLY weaned off. Phewww!! Now can go buy those sexy bras, muahahaha!
xoxo to you and Salma. Take care!
dearest maknenek,
hvn't been here 4 quite sumtime, and i came here only to find out i've been missing the great news! congrats kak! hope u will be blessed with a soleh or solehah child. :)
MN, aaaah, motherhoood, with a toddler and being preggy, been there done that. i feel asleep at 7:30 while putting my toddler to bed and being 4 mths preggy!
having a toddler is indeed a full time job!
take care MN, huggs
i pun jelous sebenarnya bila nampak org lain bole menyusukan anak, tapi Nurin, langsung tak mau! hopefully second baby nanti, dapat breastfeed dia
btw, ada my frens yg sapu sos cili kat breast dia sebab dah nak masuk 3 thn pun masih nak breastfeed. poor the little girl kepedasan..
ck : i think its a challenge for SAHM's because we got too attached to the kid, and somehow they know our weaknesses!
imzadle : thank you :) inshaallah masin mulut awak :D
ely : i got a couple of full time jobs nih.. penat la..jadi amah pun tak penat gini..hahaha
nohachomel : alahai, sampai taruk chilli sauce!!! macam2!!! takpe, inshaallah next one, you try lah tanya doctor how to increase your milk. You have to drink lots too during pregnancy and breastfeeding. And if you're a full time mom, you must feed the baby directly as often as they want, jangan express the milk out to a bottle, because the baby's sucking will promote increase in milk also. good luck ye :D
maknenek: just tell her the truth. my anak2 semua stop breast feeding sebab nak dapat adik. i told them, diorang dah besar, nanti adik dia lapar sebab dia dah hisap susu etc... surprisingly they all faham :)
shidah : anak i belum pandai cakap..camna???
maknenek,
assalamualaikum.
double congrat..
breastfeed mmg sesuatu yg indah.I'm due any time from now..but my angel still bfeed, plan to do tandem nursing..InsyaALLAH
mak nenek,
i buat apa yg dr dan nurse suruh, apa je makanan atau minuman yg bole bykkan susu i akan makan dan minum, sampai i rasa i la ibu dlm pantang yg byk betul minum air!
tapi tu la, even bidan pun kata, susu i mmg tak byk..sigh...sedih betul..
maybe after this i;ll find the correct way how to breastfeed ..mm...maybe kena beli buku dari kak nzarah kot??..:)
anyway, thanks 4 ur advise
ibuvouge : congrats on your pregnancy!!! will pray that your delivery be smooth inshaallah.
nohachomel : jangan sedih-sedihlah. cuba ikhtiar je. ada banyak tips sebenarnya, but i never used them sebab alhamdulillah ada susu. But it didn't come immediately after birth, it came a few days later, Binti was losing weight after birth and everyone was worried, nasib baik the milk came soon enough(thru her constant sucking) and amboi makkk..macam amy yip daaa!
aishah dah tak breastfeed dah..tapi tidur sandwiched between CA and I. cuma kebelakangan ni, kita latih2 dia tidur lain2 bilik. kadang dekat dlm studio, kadang2 dalam guest room, kadang2 dekat tv room, kadang2 dia cari ketiak mak dia jugak no matter what we do. tapi best. kan?
your kid is so big now..its amazing!she looks totally her fatherlah... and your kueh.. bleh tahan sey! :)
salam ramadhan/aidilfitri!
emi
haha! I like this role reversal thing. Must get N to do this one day, tapikan..mam*** dia tak nak!Must either hypnotise or pukau him into it. Your habibi is so sweet to help!
nazrah : memang lah best.. :) i still love sleeping with my daughter, but i have to prepare her before the next baby comes, kalau tak nanti dia merajuk sakan plak why suddenly i don't.
emi : she looks like her dad???? no lah..like me! like me! heheh.. of course i bias lah.. lembu punya susu, sapi dapat nama! muahaha
anedra : ya, alhamdulillah, thats one thing that i can depend on him on. he loves children, other thanthis, he is quite useless in the household department :)
Post a Comment